Thursday, July 02, 2009

movie date

So we went and saw Public Enemies last night. I was looking forward to this movie very much because it looked awesome. Following are my bullet pointed observations:
  • Public Enemies is good, but I wouldn't call it great. The acting was great though and I loved all the principal actors in their parts. Especially Marion Cotillard, who is terribly gorgeous. My one major complaint - there is one scene in particular that the photography is not just jarring, but well, it sucks. It looks like they switched from film stock to all digital, handheld cameras and the end result is not pretty. It completely took me out of the movie and I actually felt like I was watching actors on a movie set.
  • Johnny Depp looks amazing. Seriously, what is this guy doing to look so great? Chris and I spent the first five minutes after the movie gushing about how awesome he looks.
  • I wish casting directors would stop putting known actors in bit parts. It's distracting when Emilie de Ravin or Leelee Sobieski shows up to say one or two lines.
  • I feel so lucky I married someone who loves movies as much as I do. If it weren't for movies, I'm positive we would have run out of things to talk about by now! :)

4 comments:

Momar Van Der Camp said...

I keep hearing this about the movie too. I really want to see it but can't help myself from laughing at the title and making really stupid jokes about it.

alan said...

I read an interview with Mann who said he did tests of 30's dressed streets on film and with digital, and decided on film it looked 'period nostalgic' whereas with digital you felt you were really there in the 30s, so he went with the latter. Be interested to see if I spot the scene you mean, when I check out the movie.
Depp's youthful looks are enviable (speaking as someone younger who looks older! and uglier). Does he have a portrait in the attic where he looks like he's wearing a gimp mask made of scrotum? Who knows. I almost convinced myself that in some photos from a P Enemies premiere he looked like he'd been botoxing - but nahh.
Thanks for the review - loe the expression on CS's face here

folkes said...

I thought everyone knew that they deep freeze Johnny Depp between films...think i saw it on TMZ or something :P

laura said...

Aww, you guys are ruining it for me! I'd like to think it's just clean livin' that's keeping Johnny looking so young! ;)